Tuesday, March 02, 2004

brave tuesday

today i decided that i'd had enough stress at work... no one appears to be willing to say anything, they just witch and binge and say nothing to the people who need to be told. i went to see the hr lady and dumped all the crap that was bothering me on her poor head. i was very proud of the fact that i managed to do it without a) crying and b) blaming. i just told her the facts - 'i've had enough and i'm not going to take it anymore!!!'. about two hours later, my manager said to me 'we need to speak - let's go out for coffee.' 'mmm...' i thought, 'the grapevine is well greased today...' historically, in this position, i would have immediately frozen up, shut down, felt sick and thought 'oh dear, the shit has hit the fan, i've said/done the wrong thing... i'm in it up to my ears...' and panicked. the new susan just thought 'mmm... so speaking your mind can make people sit up and pay attention...' it turns out my manager knew nothing of my hr dump as she had been in a meeting all morning... she got the same story in the same manner. both of them, being managers, tried to make excuses for the under staffing, training issues, staff favouritism etc., etc., etc... but... they appeared to hear what i said and agreed that things need to improve. i know there are things i can do to improve my lot but a lot of it has to start at the management level. later on, the admin manager stopped me and expressed concern at the fact that i was thinking about leaving, so perhaps my dump will have some positive repercussions... the universe also rewarded my bravery and my clarity as the hr lady gave me a little wooden ladybird that she had been hanging on to for ages but forgetting to bring to me whenever she came downstairs and my manager bought me a coffee. i will wait a few weeks and see if anything happens and then reassess my position. i do quite like the job and most of my workmates but i'm just not prepared to be so stressed.... go me!!!

in the spirit of sharing the spoils, i'm rewarding my blog visitors with this link - go here and check out the condensed version of lotr:tfotr/t2t/rotk - fabulous stuff.

it was also a ten dog day and i started to read another book at last today. i finally finished the book i've been reading for the last 10 months! it's amazing what can happen when you release your internal pressure valve in a positive way... go me again!!!